Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Terry Schiavo on the way out

I have done further reading of various articles on the Terry Schiavo case. Seppo's comments to my blogs have also been informative and gave me additional perspective on the matter. Perhaps I miscalculate the strength with which Americans insist upon the seperation of the three branches of government, even when the results run counter to their own wishes. I think that kind of consistency is great. This may be why many conservatives have been lukewarm in the effort to keep her alive.

Of course in Canada we also value the seperation of legislators and judges, but there is also a strong notion of legislators working for their constituents. It is not unusual for people when in trouble to call their local MP. Politicians can use the bully pulpit to get results that ordinary people would not be able to, what with work and family commitments and limited resources.

Anyhoo, as much as the decisions about Schiavo make legal and political sense, they are still pretty grisly in their results. An active decision to starve someone to death just seems perverse. As much as people argue that she is effectively dead, the fact is that she is not literally dead (although it might well happen even as I type). May her passing be painless as possible. Not knowing what she is going through adds to the macabre nature of this death.

I am tempted to say something like why not just shoot her in the head and get it over with, but I won't. Or did that count?

Speaking of my siding with the cons now and then, I think I tend to be anti-abortion except in cases where the mother's life is in danger. I admit to have given very little thought to the issue and my opposition is just visceral. Will definitely need to study it more, starting with Roe v Wade. It always seems to be such a barometer between liberalism and conservatism, and I am so unabashedly liberal on most other matters. I am firmly in the lib camp in opposing the death penalty. At the end of the day I just have a problem with any kind of legal killing.

Maybe I was Catholic in a previous life?


No comments: